Sunday, July 29, 2007

An open letter to Senators Elizabeth Dole and Richard Burr

I write to you today as a citizen of North Carolina and of the United States. I write not as a Republican or a Democrat, but as a concerned American. And I hope you will respond not as Republicans, but as concerned Americans.

I am deeply troubled by the actions of our government. At no other time in our nation's history has the executive branch laid claim to so much power, and so blatantly ignored the will of the people and the rule of law.

Not even Congress, it seems, has the authority to question the President, the Vice President, or their staff. Even its ability to pass laws has been circumscribed by the White House.

I trust you are intimately familiar with these issues, but I offer these examples as a brief summary.
In short, the President and Vice President have declared themselves above the laws that govern every other citizen of this country. It is a presidency run amok. It is a vice presidency that claims to be an entity unto itself, answerable to no one.

This is not what the founders intended.

If party affiliations were reversed, and it were a Democrat in the White House, I have no doubt where you'd stand on these matters. I am asking you to apply the same principles to our current administration. I am asking you to ignore loyalty to your party and instead demonstrate loyalty to your country.

It is time to put an end to this abuse of power before we no longer have the ability to do so.

Sincerely,

Daniel Tynan

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't have written it better myself, Dan. I live in NC too and I wish our senators would for once ignore the party lines and hold the executive branch accountable. Keep it up!

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Change Congress Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.